Different foods are needed for a balanced healthy diet. Similarly, our spiritual development requires different sorts of spiritual food at each stage.
We are body, soul and spirit. The soul is composed of our emotions, thoughts, will etc.
What most people identify as "spiritual" is actually an awareness that we are more than what we see. Many who consider themselves spiritual, however, are not aware of their spirit.
The spirit in most people (around 95% of people I have come across) is "asleep". It will stay asleep unless THE Creator of Everything quickens it, i.e. brings it to LIFE. Is it possible that He does this apart from religion and churches? Absolutely! However, most resources about this use a lot of religious jargon. We also need an active, personal relationship with God to "decrypt" spiritual understanding from these sources.
A JAW-DROPPING, SUPERNATURAL LIFE IN RELATIONSHIP WITH OUR CREATOR HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RELIGION.
God goes beyond religion, buildings, an organization or groups of people. No human teacher is perfect and the best teacher is the Holy Spirit, whom Jesus called the Spirit of Truth. God does work through imperfect people with the Holy Spirit but He stirs our own spirit directly. It is up to us to pay attention and follow Him.
People who tend to be spiritual cannot differentiate between their spirits stirring and their soul being stirred.
In my own journey, the following kept me from considering God's existence and knowing my Creator's love for me:
- I projected the emotional wounds caused by my upbringing (parents, society, education etc) onto God. The Old Testament God especially is beyond our soulish understanding. I dismissed any serious thought about God, except in moments of desperation.
- I was not in touch with my spiritual pride and Self-worship. Pride is at the root of everything that keeps us from God.
- I saw God as the universe, energy, atman etc, rather than my creator outside time/space who loved me and someone I could actually have a personal relationship with!
- I saw morality as relative rather than universal. I realized later that Truth comes only from God because He created everything. God is ALWAYS true and never lies.
Every human inevitably projects wounds caused by spiritual lies and suffering onto God and take Him to be someone He is not.
- I did not understand that suffering, evil etc. exists in this world because we live in a fallen world populated by spiritual beings that want to keep us from God. These beings, acting through complicit humans, cause all kinds of chaos, havoc etc. Ultimately though, we have free will and are accountable for accepting their lies.
- I did not know how to live for my spirit and only lived from my soul or body, attributing soulish things to mean "spiritual".
A relationship with God, through our quickened spirit is true spiritual nourishment and freedom. Jesus calls it the Living Waters.
In our soul, we ALL long for God's love and presence but instead misplace that longing on other things. We also look for healing and answers from other sources, when only God can truly give us both.
We can receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and 100% proof of our Creator in our spirit. Jesus calls the Holy Spirit "the Spirit of Truth" and "comforter" for good reason.
As you read, listen or watch anything from the list below, pay attention to anything that seems interesting in a new experiential way. Allow God to lead you.
(I have no connection to any of these resources)
- KJV bible and KJ3 bible (literal translation from Greek)
- www.rhemabooks.org distributes free printed resources
- www.TasteHeavenNow.net (highly recommended)
- "Release of the Spirit" by Watchman Nee
- "Soul and Spirit" by Jessie Penn-Lewis
- "Christ Conscious" by Emerson Ferrell
- "The Spirit of Man" by Ana Mendez Ferrell